There’s something about the ‘pop’ of putting peas in a smooth, creamy pasta salad. I added in some ham I had smoked a while back that was hiding in the back of the freezer. It added a nice smoky flavor to the salad. If you don’t have any ham, you can leave it out and still have a great peas and pasta salad. For extra crunch, add in some finely chopped green and red bell pepper.
For extra smoky goodness, substitute a smoked cheddar instead. Or for a lighter cheese flavor use mild cheddar. Monterrey Jack cheese is also great in this salad.
Peas and Pasta Salad
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 10 ounces peas frozen, thawed
- 1/2 cup extra sharp Cheddar cheese cubed
- 10 ounces cooked ham chopped
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain well and let cool. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the red onion, mayo, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sugar to a small bowl. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the pasta and fold to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the large box and fold to combine. Season with salt and pepper.