Paul Kirk’s book Championship Barbecue is full of great recipes. And lots of them, too. Almost 450 pages worth.
Creole Pasta Salad
Recipe type: Side
This is my take on Paul Kirk's Creole macaroni salad. It serves a crowd, so it is perfect for a family get-together. It does have some kick, so you might warn grandma before she digs in!
- 1 pound dried pasta (whatever style you like, such as macaroni, shells, etc)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (plus a little more) buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook the pasta per the package instructions. Rinse and drain well and let cool completely.
- Combine the pasta, tomatoes, cheese, celery, onion, bell pepper and olives in a large bowl.
- Combine the mayo, buttermilk, garlic, salt, and white and cayenne peppers in a bowl (or jar.. shake to combine) and pour over the salad. Toss to combine.
- Let set in the fridge for at least 4 hours until well chilled.
- If the salad seems dry, add in a tablespoon of extra buttermilk and stir to moisten.