I was looking at a loaf of French bread that was sitting on the counter. I was wondering what was I going to do with it. I’d made about 8 different po boys in as many days. I was worried that Anita might be getting tired of eating them, but I had to make one more, but I had to make a breakfast po boy. It’s an omelet on a roll, topped with a creamy cheese sauce. If you’re looking for a bit of kick, add some red pepper flake or cayenne pepper to the omelet or (and!) the cheese sauce.
This breakfast po boy was easy to make and actually quite delicious. You can put whatever you want into the omelet of course. The cheese sauce takes it over the top. Try my breakfast pizza and my Mexican breakfast taco too!
For the omelet
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons onion chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
For the cheese sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
For the sandwich
- 1/2 loaf French bread halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 9" x 9" pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix the eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, onion, pepper and sausage in a bowl and pour into the pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until done. Remove and let cool slightly.
- For the cheese sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring often.
- Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- Lightly toast the bread if desired.
- Cut omelet into a rectangle and place onto bread half.
- Pour cheese sauce over omelet. Add bread top and enjoy!