This beef and Italian sausage chili is a wonderfully tasty chili. The Italian sausage really adds a lot to the flavor. It isn’t spicy. But it can be if you add a lot of hot sauce or use hot Italian sausage). The broth is flat-out crazy delicious. That’s what distinguishes a good chili from a great chili. This is great chili.
This recipe for beef and Italian sausage chili actually changed my view of beef-only chili. Now, I almost always add Italian sausage to my chili.
Beef and Italian Sausage Chili
- 1/2 pound Italian-style pork sausage
- 2 pounds chuck cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans beef broth
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Hot sauce to taste
- Crumble the sausage into a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until cooked.
- Add the beef and cook until browned. Spoon off excess fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook another 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until beef is tender, about 3 1/2 hours. Add water (or more broth) if the chili gets too thin.
- Season with salt if needed. Serve hot.