Jessica over at How Sweet It Is posts some fabulous food. Her idea for a grilled caramel apple cheese sandwich is just one of them. The combination of the crisp apple, sweet caramel and creamy cheese is to die for.A good (read: expensive) caramel will take this sandwich over the top. You will still enjoy it with a less costly alternative. Just don’t use something overly sweet and candyish. This grilled caramel apple cheese sandwich is somewhere between dessert and lunch.
Grilled Caramel Apple Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices good multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 ounces brie cheese sliced thin (or more, depending on the size of your bread slices)
- 1 honeycrisp apple thinly sliced (a mandolin works best)
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread the butter on one side of two slices of the bread and place them, butter-side down, into the skillet.
- As the bread cooks, drizzle each with a 1/2 tablespoon of caramel. Divide half of the brie between the two bread slices, add another 1/2 tablespoon of caramel, the apple, the remaining caramel and finally the rest of the cheese.
- Butter one side of the remaining bread slices and place on top.
- Flip sandwich once the bottom slices are well browned.
- Continue cooking until the bread is browned and crispy and the cheese has melted. You might find that the cheese melts better if you put a lid over the skillet while cooking.