I was a little pessimistic when I set out to make this colorful Christmas pasta dish. I thought, sure, it looks Christmasy (and it’s nowhere near Christmas time), but I wasn’t sure it’d have a lot of flavor. I was pleasantly surprised at the end result, which Anita absolutely raved about.
This Christmas pasta is an incredibly easy way to cook up a big dish for a crowd. Also try my baked Angel hair with sausage. It’s also a big favorite of ours.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 2 pounds sweet Italian Sausage torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 red bell peppers cut into 1" chunks
- 3 green bell peppers cut into 1" chunks
- 3 sweet onions cut into 1" chunks
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti cooked al-dente
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. You need a skillet large enough to hold the meat, veggies, and pasta, so if you don't have a really large one, use a big pot instead.
- Add sausage and cook until done.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until almost done. Drain well.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon.
- Add in the peppers and onion and cook until starting to soften, 8-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Remove from heat. Stir the meat back into the veggies.
- Add the pasta to the pan and stir well.
- Pour mixture into the casserole, cover with foil, and bake 35-40 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.