The best baked potato has a crispy skin that crunches when you cut into it. Not steamed in foil. Baked. There are few things that are as easy as or as good as a great baked potato.
Here’s how we make our baked potatoes in the oven. If you’re wanting to try something, sweet potatoes on a smoker or grill takes traditional baking of potatoes to a whole new place.
- 2 large Russet potatoes
- Olive or canola oil
- Sea salt (or fleur de sel)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rinse the potatoes under cold water and brush off any dirt. Dry well with a paper towel.
- Pierce each potato 4 times with a sharp knife.
- Brush potatoes with oil.
- Sprinkle some salt onto a plate and roll the potatoes in the salt.
- Place potatoes directly on the oven center rack. You might want to put a baking sheet lined with foil beneath them to catch any drippings.
- Bake until potatoes are done (210 F internal temperature, or tender all the way through when poked with a knife), 40-60 minutes depending on their size. You can also test for doneness by squeezing the potatoes (with potholders on). If they give easily, they are done.