This marinated black-eyed pea salad (aka Cowboy Caviar) is absolutely fantastic. It is great as a side for grilled burgers or dogs… anything! The celery adds a really nice crunch. Take this along on your next pitch-in and everyone will love it. Like me, they will think that it’s the best kicked up pea salad ever.This recipe for Cowboy Caviar came from the July 2013 issue of Chile Pepper magazine. The recipe was originally from Liberty’s Kitchen in New Orleans, which is committed to helping teach under-served youth in a culinary setting. So not only do they have a great mission, they also have a great black-eyed pea salad!
For the cilantro lime vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 jalapenos seeded, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro loosely packed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad
- 3 15 ounce cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Cilantro lime vinaigrette
- Prepare the vinaigrette by placing all ingredients into a bowl and whisking well. You can also puree them in a blender.
- Make the salad by combining all ingredients and tossing to coat.