Instead of the ‘usual’ cooked chicken, we grilled some marinated Teriyaki chicken that came out absolutely fantastic. It is the same marinade we used on some grilled Teriyaki pork kabobs the other night. It is definitely our favorite.
Also try my grilled Teriyaki pork kabobs.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice
For the marinade
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins or breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
For the fried rice
- 3/4 cup white onion minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3 drops light soy sauce
- 3 drops sesame oil
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
For the chicken
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients. Place into a large resealable baggie or container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Set up your grill for indirect and direct cooking.
- Thread meat and vegetables onto skewers.
- Sear over direct heat then move to indirect heat and cook until the chicken reaches 165 F. Remove and cover with foil while making the fried rice.
For the fried rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the onion and stir-fry until they brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove.
- Allow wok to cool slightly.
- In a small cup, mix the egg with the 3 drops of soy and sesame oil.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the wok, coating well.
- Add the egg mixture and quickly swirly it around. Once it puffs flip the egg. Remove from wok to a plate and chop.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok. Add the carrots, peas, and cooked onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, green onions, and bean sprouts, tossing to mix well, and stir-fry for 3 more minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce and the egg to the wok and fold to incorporate;
- Remove from heat.
- Serve rice topped with chicken.