These roasted garlic mashed potatoes are outstanding. The roasted, savory flavor of these potatoes make them the perfect side. They also pass the ‘gravy lake test’, holding a nice big serving of gravy without getting runny.
We served these with the delicious gravy from the mushroom pork tenderloins we made. And roasted carrots on the side.
- 1 medium head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (more or less)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, quartered (and peeled if you desire)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic and place the head onto a small piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle the garlic with oil and seal inside the foil. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until very tender.
- Remove the garlic from the oven. Open the pouch and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Lightly chop the potatoes and return them to the (now empty) large pot.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the parsley. Also squeeze in the cloves of roasted garlic.
- Blend with a handheld mixer or potato masher until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve garnished with parsley.