If you’re looking to make a big batch of a tomato-based BBQ sauce that is out of this world good, you’ve found it. This sweet-n-spicy BBQ sauce is great to play around with depending on your tastes, too. It goes on smooth, has hints of sweetness and smoke, and a little heat.
We slathered some of this great sauce onto some grilled chicken breasts last night for dinner. The leftover chicken (drenched in more sauce) will go onto pizzas and quesadillas. This sauce is also excellent as a dipping sauce for grilled smoked sausage!
This recipe makes about 2 quarts, enough for 16 bone-in chicken breasts… or there abouts!
Sweet-n-Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white onion minced
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Hot sauce I used a seriously hot, but very tasty, hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15-30 minutes or until the desired thickness is obtained.