I made this spicy roasted red pepper sauce to top grilled polenta, but you could use it on a lot of things. The sweetness of the roasted peppers is offset by the red wine vinegar. The oregano was a nice touch, adding a nice herb twist.
Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Servings 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers or more, cut into rough strips
- 5 roasted red bell peppers roast them yourself or use 1 large jar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot pepper flakes to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic and jalapenos and saute for 5-10 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Place the garlic, jalapenos, the infused oil, and the red bell peppers into a blender and process until smooth.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup oil to the sauce pan (note: the pan will be hot so beware of splattering). Add the pureed mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the vinegar, oregano and hot pepper flakes to taste.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot or cold.