These are the most amazing grilled bratwursts I’ve ever had. They get an incredible taste boost from simmering in a combination of apples, onion, and beer. They grilled up unbelievably tender and juicy. Topping them with a beer cheese sauce and kraut resulted in the perfect bite time after time. There’s no reason to make brats any other way.
This recipe comes from Jeff Mauro, one of the TV chefs on the Food Network. We really enjoy watching Jeff’s show, Sandwich King. He makes really great food, all of it easy enough for even the most casual home cook, and he’s funny to boot.
Also try my classic brat burgers.
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples peeled, sliced thin
- 1 Vidalia onion sliced thin
- 2 cans lager beer
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bratwursts
- 8 large hot dog buns toasted
- Beer Cheese Sauce see below
- 2 cups sauerkraut well drained
- Dijon mustard
- Pickled jalapenos
- Place the apples, onion, beer, salt and pepper in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until the apples and onions are soft.
- Add the bratwurst and let simmer 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the brats to a plate. Reserve the braising liquid for the beer cheese sauce.
- Grill bratwurst 5-6 minutes per side.
- Serve bratwursts on buns, topped with the cheese sauce, kraut, Dijon mustard and jalapenos.
For the Beer Cheese Sauce
- pound Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- tablespoon Dijon mustard
- /2 cup, or more, beer braising liquid
- Place the cheese and Dijon in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring often, let the cheese melt and combine with the mustard.
- Add the beer braising liquid. Whisk all ingredients together, adding more liquid if the sauce is too thick. It should be a little thick, enough to just stick to the back of a spoon.