Well, I’ll be. You could just knock me over with a feather. These little yummy homemade chicken nuggets taste even better than those little things you’d get at all of the fast food restaurants! The texture is exactly the same. So much so you’ll think you’re at a McDonald’s. They’re crazy addicting, that’s for sure.
We really liked these homemade chicken nuggets. They were very flavorful and were almost like eating just-fried chicken bites. We served them with warmed Russ and Frank’s Sassy BBQ sauce and some homemade sweet-and-sour dipping sauce.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Vegetable oil
For the nuggets
- 1 1/4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes (or substitute ground chicken)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
For the egg wash
- 2 eggs beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Your favorite warmed BBQ sauce
- Homemade sweet and sour sauce
- Pour 2" of oil into a skillet, deep fryer or Dutch oven. Heat to 350 F.
- Place all of the nugget ingredients into a food processor and pulse until it is well combined and forms a paste. If you are using ground chicken, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the egg wash into a pie pan.
- In another pie pan place the dredging ingredients.
- Roll the chicken into small balls (about the size of a big marble).
- Roll the chicken around in the dredging mixture. Shake off any excess.
- Roll the chicken around in the egg wash. Shake off any excess.
- Roll the chicken around in the dredging mixture again. Shake off any excess and place on the parchment paper.
- Using the back of a spoon, lightly press down on each chicken ball to flatten it out to form a nugget.
- Working in batches, dip the nuggets in flour one more time. Shake off the excess and add to the oil.
- Fry on each side about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.