Last week was taco week here. Every dish I made was taco-themed. Now, that’s not to say any of them were traditional, but they definitely had that great taco meat flavor. This taco pasta is no exception. The sauce is delicious – creamy with a taco kick.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounce dry pasta shells
- 1/2 medium white onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup thick salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning or use 3 tablespoons of our homemade version
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- Pickled jalapenos optional
- Chopped cilantro optional
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining. Drain well.
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot.
- Add onion and cook until just starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add the taco seasoning and salsa. Stir. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, cream cheese and sour cream. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese and jalapenos and/or cilantro if desired.