This is the world’s easiest take on a stromboli. In a little over an hour you’ll be enjoying 2 large stromboli stuffed with all of your favorite flavors, from onions and peppers to pepperoni and olives and of course, lots of cheese. You can make the stuffing ahead of time, too. And the leftovers (if you actually have any) keep well and make for a great, easy lunch.
You can add just about anything to the stuffing, but don’t add so much that it becomes difficult to roll. Trust me, I’ve learned this the hard way. More is NOT better. Your dough might tear and that is a bad thing.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 2-4 jalapeño peppers minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup ham chopped
- 4 ounces pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives drained
- All-purpose flour
- Two tubes Pillsbury Classic Pizza crust
- 4 cups Italian cheese mix divided
- 1 large egg
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brown. Remove to a large bowl.
- Add the onion and peppers to the skillet and saute until they just start to soften.
- Add in the garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir. Add to bowl.
- Add the ham, pepperoni and olives to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll out one tube of crust until it is about 10" x 14".
- Top flour with half of the toppings, leaving a 1" border around the edges.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Whisk together the egg and one tablespoon of warm water in a cup or small bowl. Brush onto edges of the dough.
- Beginning along the long edge, roll up the dough to form a log. Pinch in the edges and seems. Transfer to a large baking pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Repeat with other tube of dough and remaining toppings.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Let stromboli rest while the oven heats.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until the tops get golden brown.
- Let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.