This is my go-to easy nacho cheese sauce. It’s great over hot dogs (such as the awesome grilled San Antonio hot dogs shown below). It’s also fantastic as a dip, drizzled over steamed veggies, over baked potatoes, on burgers. Just about everything needs this sauce. Add chili to make a great chili sauce for fries. Or, add salsa for a fantastic dip.
Add just a little cayenne or chopped pickled jalapenos to your sauce. Or chipotles in adobo sauce or your favorite hot sauce (Sriracha is awesome in a cheese sauce!) to this nacho cheese sauce for a little kick.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk plus more, if needed
- 7 slices processed American cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and stir until thickened.
- Break the cheese into smaller pieces and add to the pan along with the salt.
- Stir until the cheese has melted completely, 10-15 minutes.
- Add more milk if the mixture gets too thick.