These wonderful grilled Malibu chicken sandwiches will disappear before you know it. Sweet grilled pineapple, juicy moist chicken, ham, gooey cheese and a slight kick from the glaze.
Also try my grilled Hawaiian chicken sandwiches.
Grilled Malibu Chicken Sandwiches
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ rub I used a pineapple chipotle rub
- 6 slices canned pineapple juice reserved for the sauce
- 12 slices deli ham sliced thin
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
For the basting sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice from the canned slices
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Slice the chicken horizontally into 6 thin cutlets.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the rub and refrigerate for one hour.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Fire up your grill over high heat and sear the chicken and pineapple on one side. Brush with sauce and flip. Brush again and sear on other side.
- Remove the pineapple.
- Move the chicken to indirect heat and let cook until done.
- Top chicken with ham and drizzle with some of the sauce.
- Add cheese and drizzle with more sauce. Add the pineapple.
- Toast buns if desired.
- Place chicken on buns and serve.