I love Hawaiian pizza, so it wasn’t too much of a stretch to put some of the same ingredients on top of a grilled hot dog. Grilled Hawaiian hot dogs are a combination of sweet and heat, my favorite. You don’t need anything else on these. No sauce or anything like that. The juicy pineapple takes care of that.
Also try my delicious grilled hot dogs with hot Creole blender sauce. They’re different.
Hawaiian Hot Dogs
- 1/2 large red onion cut into large rings but not separated
- 4 pineapple rings canned or fresh
- Olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch or more of cayenne
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Fire up your grill for direct cooking.
- Brush the onion and pineapple rings with a bit of olive oil and grill, flipping once, until nicely charred and starting to soften.
- Remove, and let cool just slightly. Chop and place in a medium bowl.
- Add sugar, salt and cayenne to the bowl and toss to coast.
- Grill dogs and toast buns as desired. Serve topped with the onion and pineapple mixture.