Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is a small chain of BBQ restaurants in the northeast, and now, also in Chicago. If these dinosaur-style BBQ beans are any indication of how good their food is, it’s a place well worth visiting. These beans are crazy good, thanks mostly to the barbecue sauce and my favorite, crumbled cooked Italian sausage.
I recently started adding Italian sausage to my chili recipes. The Italian sausage adds a fantastic flavor and texture to the chili, just like it does to these dinosaur-style BBQ beans. You can use spicy sausage to kick things up even more. Of course, you can also add leftover chopped, cubed shredded pulled pork or smoked brisket (yum!).
Dinosaur-Style BBQ Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large white or sweet onion chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 28 ounce cans Bush's Original baked beans
- 3/4 cup your favorite BBQ sauce I used Weber Kick'N Spicy
- 1 tablespoon Creole or Spicy Brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Heal olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper along with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Crumble the sausage into the pan and cook until done. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the beans and stir.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.