Also known as Canadian steak seasoning, this Montreal steak seasoning mix is perfect on burgers, steaks or potatoes. Or on my favorite, smoked habanero meatloaf.
The original recipe for Montreal steak seasoning (as stated below) does call for quite a bit of salt. I suggest starting with half the suggested amount and tasting as you add more, if you need it. Since I was using the mix in a meatloaf I wanted it to be a little finer than it was just mixed up, so I did a few quick grinds with a mortar and pestle to get rid of any large spices.
Also try my homemade chili seasoning.
Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons sea salt start with 2 tablespoons and add more, to taste, if desired
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flake
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon dried coriander
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.
- Depending on how you wish to use the seasoning, you may want to lightly grind it using a mortar and pestle.