I work from home, and with all the food I end up cooking through the week, I usually heat up some leftovers for lunch. Sometimes, though, no leftovers are to be found. That’s when I like to throw together a quick meal, like a grilled cheese sandwich. No need for it to be just cheese and bread, though. I throw on a little tomato and jalapeno and all is good in the world again. Done in minutes this spicy grilled cheese is and nice and different. With a kick.
Spicy Grilled Cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 4 slices Texas toast
- 4 slices good thick American cheese
- 1 Roma tomato seeded, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno seeded, minced
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Lay two slices of bread butter-side down in the skillet. Top each with one slice of cheese. Divide the tomato and jalapeno between the bread slices and top with remaining cheese.
- If your skillet is large enough, lay the remaining bread slices butter-side down into the skillet. This prevents you from having to flip the sandwiches to brown them on both sides. Bad things can sometimes happen when you flip a sandwich! But, if you're a good flipper, put the remaining bread on top of the sandwiches, butter-side out.
- Cook until bread is nice and browned. Flip when ready and brown on other side if you aren't cooking the top slices separately. Otherwise, top the sandwiches with the cooked top slices.
- Serve hot and gooey.