I had some fried chicken leftover in the fridge. I’m completely ok with chowing down on cold leftover chicken. But I’m even more ok with chopping it up and using it in fried chicken salad sandwiches. It’s the perfect way to use up leftovers, and the perfect sandwich for a picnic.
This is an incredible version of chicken salad. I love the buttermilk in the mayonnaise. The mustard adds a bit of kick. But all the flavors in the sauce mixture do not overpower the chicken. You can still tell that there’s fried chicken in there. It’s a great twist.
Don’t have leftover fried chicken on hand? Any cooked chicken will do just fine in this salad. Want a spicier chicken salad? Try my spicy chicken salad sandwiches or my fried chicken breast sandwiches.
Fried Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard or substitute Dijon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups leftover cold fried chicken diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 green onions sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 croissants split (warmed if desired)
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, Italian seasoning, cayenne and lemon in a large bowl.
- Add in the chicken, parsley, celery and green onions. Stir gently to combine and coat with the dressing ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Serve chicken salad on croissants.