Well, this Mardis Gras pasta salad sure came out pretty. And good tasting, too. All of the colors are Mardis Gras are there. Gold (er… yellow). Green. Purple. This salad is almost like a slaw, except for the pasta.
I wouldn’t be afraid to add more mustard. I use Zatarain’s Creole mustard although Dijon could be substituted (in a pinch). I shredded the cabbage pretty fine. I didn’t want big pieces of cabbage like I would normally do for a slaw, so I used a box grater. But you can thin shred your cabbage if you prefer.
Mardis Gras Pasta Salad
- 1 pound dried pasta elbow, fusilli, whatever you want to use
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- 5 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard or substitute Dijon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4-1 cup mayonnaise
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Rinse and drain well then let cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients (start with just 3/4 cup of the mayo) and stir to combine.
- If mixture is too dry add more mayonnaise, one tablespoon at a time, stirring, until the salad is the desired thickness.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.