I’m finding that stuffed mushrooms are becoming more and more a regular part of my grill outs. They’re incredibly easy to make, and you can stuff them with just about anything, from in-season fresh vegetables to pork chorizo. You can cook these cedar-planked chorizo portobellos directly on the grill. The filling has a great spiciness to it, reminiscent of a southwestern Sloppy Joe with a creamy cheese topping and a little hint of cilantro.
I use large portobellos. Our local grocery store sells them in 2- and 4-packs as ‘grill caps’. They’re the perfect size for 2 or 4 people each, depending on what you use for stuffing.
I don’t like to over-char my cedar planks, which increases the aroma and flavor of the cedar. I like just a hint of cedar. Just something different.
Cooking on cedar planks can really change the ordinary into something special, which is why I do it often. Check out my other cedar plank recipes: creamy mashed potatoes, Cajun mashed potatoes, Twinkies, beef sliders, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, shrimp and grits and spicy grilled shrimp.
Cedar Planked Chorizo Portobellos
- 1 cedar plank
- 2 portobello mushroom caps gills gently scooped out with a spoon
- Olive oil
- 4 tablespoons or more our pork chorizo stuffing (or substitute cooked crumbled chorizo)
- 4 tablespoons or more shredded queso quesadilla cheese
- Cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Soak the cedar plank in water for 30 minutes.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush the mushrooms on both sides with oil.
- Place on grill, gill-side up, over direct heat for 3 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly while the plank continues to soak.
- Transfer portobellos to the plank.
- Spoon pork chorizo stuffing into mushroom tops.
- Place on grill over indirect heat and cook for 15 minutes. Check often to make sure the plank doesn't catch fire. If it does, just blow on it or spritz it with a little water to extinguish.
- Add the cheese and cook another 5 minutes or until melted.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.