Man, these smoked baked beans are just flat out insanely good. You could make them in the oven, but it’s the smoky flavor that just makes these beans outstanding. They’re even better if you add a few chunks of smoked pork or beef.This recipe makes a pretty good sized batch, but believe me, it won’t last long. People are going to want seconds if not thirds.
If you want a bit of kick to your beans, add some roasted jalapenos or a couple dashes of hot sauce. I cooked mine on a rack beneath some Tasso ham, which has a heavy dose of cayenne on it. All that spicy goodness dripped down into the beans giving them a really great kick. I made sure that the beans got hot enough that I didn’t have to worry if the ham drippings were fully cooked or not.
Smoked Baked Beans
- 2 28 ounce cans Bush's Original Baked Beans
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons molasses
- 1 Vidalia sweet onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 250 F.
- Pour the beans into 9" x 13" aluminum pan.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Place onto the smoker and cook for 2 hours or until the vegetables are somewhat tender, stirring occasionally.