A salad doesn’t have to be complicated to be great. A few fresh ingredients, a few canned, with a great dressing, and you have a big batch of colorful salad that is sure to impress at your next family gathering.
This Georgia caviar (sounds fancier than ‘some beans with pepper and onion and black-eyed-peas salad’) has a great crispy fresh crunch, sweetness from corn, and that great black-eyed pea flavor. I grew up on black-eyed peas and I still love them.
I can’t say any more about this salad. I just keep looking at the picture and thinking, ‘dang, that was a great salad’. It really was. So refreshing.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet corn, rinsed, drained
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the oil.
- Combine all ingredients except the salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the dressing and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.