I have to admit, I was really surprised about how much I loved this mashed cauliflower. I figured that every food blog that I read saying these mock mashed potatoes were good was stretching the truth. Probably like you’re thinking now. I was wrong. The cauliflower comes out buttery, creamy, and does not have an overwhelming cauliflower flavor.
Since I was afraid I’d find the cauliflower lacking in flavor, I made a big batch of my mushroom gravy to top it off. I found that the cauliflower didn’t need the gravy at all, but it did make it seem even more like mashed potatoes. Since making this dish it has now become a regular staple in our house. Cauliflower is available pretty much throughout the year, making for an easy side dish at any time.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken bullion granules
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower and boil for 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- Drain but do not rinse.
- Add remaining ingredients, then using a potato masher or immersion blender mash or blend until smooth.
- Serve with our fantastic mushroom gravy!