I wanted a grilled cheese sandwich. But, after visiting the Der Pretzel Wagen food truck here in Indianapolis a few days earlier and grabbing an outrageously-good pretzel sandwich (The Ham Solo, my favorite), I was also jonesin’ for a pretzel. So, I decided to combine the two desires into a very easy sandwich. Pretzel ‘bun’, melty gooey cheese, crispy bacon, and a bit of Dijon mustard. These pretzel grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches are easy to make, and quite tasty.
I didn’t go the fancy route. I used frozen pre-made pretzels. And American cheese. It was enough to hold me over until I can get back to Der Pretzel Wagen food truck for a real pretzel sandwich!
Pretzel Grilled Bacon and Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 frozen pretzels warmed per package instructions (and cut in half horizontally if large)
- 2 pieces American cheese
- 2 pieces bacon cooked
- A few squirts of Dijon mustard
- Slather the top of one of the pretzels with mustard.
- Add a slice of cheese, the bacon, and the remaining cheese.
- Add a few more squirts of mustard and add the other pretzel.