I’m a big fan of bar-style potato skins. You know the ones. Crispy skin, cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, green onions, and sour cream. But sometimes I want something just a bit different. Something with some kick to it, like these grilled pork chorizo potato skins. True, you can put Mexican chorizo (not to be confused with Spanish chorizo, which is a cured sausage, Mexican chorizo is a spicy ground pork product) on or in just about anything and I’m going to love it.
Potato skins only take a few minutes to make, so I often toss them on the grill while I’m making burgers or hot dogs for a quick and easy appetizer or side dish. I also keep a bottle of hot sauce nearby in case I want them to be just a bit spicier. Why not?
Also try my grill-roasted herb potatoes.
Grilled Pork Chorizo Potato Skins
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 cup our pork chorizo mix or use crumbled cooked Mexican chorizo
- 1 cup Queso blanco shredded
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cut each potato lengthwise into four wedges. Don't make the wedges too thick. If you are using very large potatoes you might have a center portion leftover for other uses.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, scrape out the potato insides, leaving 1/4" or so left.
- Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 6-10 minutes or until tender.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Combine the butter and chipotle powder and brush on all sides of the potatoes.
- Grill the potatoes, cut side down, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until they start to char.
- Turn potatoes over and top with cheese. Grill another 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with the bacon, green onions, and sour cream as desired.