I’m on a never-ending quest to find recipes that jazz up canned or frozen vegetables. I stock up on them before winter hits because you just never know when you might get stuck in the house for a while because of a blizzard (at least here). Once winter has passed I then rush to use up all the cans and bags and boxes of veggies. These Parmesan peas are an outstandingly good way to use frozen peas. And once fresh peas are available again, I’ll make this recipe with fresh ones. But either way, frozen or fresh, these peas are great!
You really have to watch these peas when you cook them. They’ll go from bright green to yellowish in a heartbeat. Once they are all bright green, get them off the heat! I was dangerously close to crossing the line when I made these. Not that they’ll taste bad if you do let them cook too far, not at all.
Also try my penne pasta with peas.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 small shallots sliced or diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1 pound bag frozen peas, thawed completely
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots along with a pinch of salt. Cook until the shallots are soft and translucent.
- Add the peas and another pinch of salt. Cook until peas are soft and bright green, 2-3 minutes at most. Do not overcook or the peas will change color and no longer be bright green.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with the cheese and a pinch or two of pepper.