This grilled sweet BBQ bacon takes candied bacon to a whole new fantastic place. The bacon gets ‘happy’ overnight in an off-the-shelf marinade, getting infused with slightly sweet BBQ flavors. Skewered and onto the grill over indirect heat until just starting to get golden brown. Any more and the marinade will caramelize. After cooling (and I have to admit, some didn’t cool much before I devoured them) you have wonderous appetizer bacon-on-a-stick.
I also took some of the bacon off the skewers and saved it for topping burgers later in the day. The bacon adds tremendous flavor to a burger. Way, way beyond your usual bacon.
Breakfast on the grill is great. Trying grilling up some biscuits to go with your bacon!
Grilled Sweet BBQ Bacon
- 1 pound thick cut smoked bacon
- 1 bottle Lawry's Sweet Southern BBQ marinade any of Lawry's marinades will do!
- Wooden skewers soaked at least 4 hours before grilling
- Separate bacon strips and place into a large resealable container or baggie.
- Add the marinade. Seal and toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight for best results. Turn the bacon over every few hours to get the marinade well-distributed.
- Thread the bacon onto the skewers. I found it easiest to first fold the bacon like an accordion, then I fed the skewer through the middle.
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Place the skewers onto the grill. Grill for 10 minutes then flip and continue grilling another 5-10 minutes or until the bacon is done. NOTE: The bacon will not be crispy. Do not let it cook until it gets dark.
- If you are serving the bacon on skewers as meat snacks, let them cool before serving.
- If you are using the bacon on burgers or sandwiches, immediately remove the bacon from the skewers before cooling. Once the bacon cools it will be very difficult to remove the skewers.