Wow, I just had no idea how much we would both love this Mexican charred corn hot dog. It has such a wonderful combination of tastes, from the bite of the onion, to that great sweetness you get from roasted corn, fantastic citrus lime mayonnaise, all served over a grilled all-beef hot dog. Topped with crumbled Cotija cheese! These dogs were an absolute treat!
Mexican charred corn hot dogs are light and refreshing, the perfect dogs for a sunny day. If fresh corn-on-the-cob is no longer available, you can use canned or frozen corn kernels. Pour the kernels out onto a baking sheet and place under the broiler just long enough for them to start to char.
You’ll want to also try my loaded Mexican hot dogs.
- 4 ears sweet corn, husked
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 all-beef hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled Cotija or feta cheeses
- Chili powder (optional)
- Fire up your grill.
- Brush the corn with the oil and place over direct heat. Cook until charred on all sides, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the dogs and toast the buns as desired.
- Cut the kernels from the corn. Place in a bowl and stir in the green onions.
- Combine the mayonnaise and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slather hot dog buns with the mayonnaise.
- Top with the dogs.
- Add the corn and green onion mixture.
- Sprinkle with Cotija cheese and chili powder, if using.