Although I truly do love making jerky on my dehydrator. it’s actually not the main reason I bought it. I got it to dry herbs and vegetables to make my own spice mixes. This bell pepper powder made on my Nesco Snackmaster Pro dehydrator was my first attempt, and boy, is it ever amazing.
I cannot wait to use this powder in everything from omlets, to burgers, to chili. It has a great peppery sweetness to it. You could easily substitute it for black pepper in a lot of cases.
After drying the chopped peppers for 24 hours I ground them using a blade coffee grinder (not the burr grinder). Not all of the peppers would go thru the grinder (they were still a bit moist) so I returned them to the dehydrator for just a bit.
The final product went into Mason jars with lids and then vacuum-sealed using a jar attachment for a vacuum sealer. You just have to remember that after you open the jar to remove some of the powder you’ll need to re-seal it. No big deal and well worth the effort.
Also try making onion powder on your Nesco Snackmaster Pro. It’s as easy as easy gets!
Bell Pepper Powder on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro
- Bell peppers I was able to fit approximately 2 peppers per Nesco Snackmaster Pro tray
- Set your dehydrator to 135 F.
- Rinse the peppers. Remove the stems and seeds and cut into chunks. If you are not using screen trays you'll want to cut fairly large pieces so they do not fall between the trays.
- Dehydrate for 18-24 hours. Rotate the trays every 2 hours if possible.
- Once all the peppers are dry and a bit crisp remove and let cool.
- Process the peppers in the grinder until they form a fine powder. If some pieces of pepper do not grind return them to the dehydrator for another hour or so until crisp.
- Keep the powder in an air-tight container. I place mine in a Mason jar, cover it, then use a vacuum-sealer attachment specifically for jars to remove all of the air.