The Big 10 basketball tournament was here in Indianapolis a few years ago. As part of the event, the Levy restaurant group in Chicago produced unique hot dogs that highlight each of the Big 10 teams. I came across a copy of the list of the dogs recently, and just had to make each of them, like the Iowa Hawkeye hot dog. Topped with corn salsa, kicked-up pepperjack cheese, and tortilla strips, it’s one heck of a hot dog! I couldn’t find corn salsa with enough corn in it so I roasted an ear of corn on the grill while I was cooking the hot dogs. I cut off the kernels and added them to the salsa. Perfect!
I love salsa on a hot dog and not just on a Iowa Hawkeye hot dog. It’s like adding grownup ketchup, but no one will judge you. The pop of the corn kernels in the salsa is a really nice unexpected texture. So are the crunchy tortilla strips.
For a full list of all of the Big 10 team hot dogs, click here and enjoy!
Iowa Hawkeye Hot Dog
- All-beef hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Corn salsa If you can't find it just add a few corn kernels to regular salsa
- Blue and white corn tortilla strips
- Shredded pepperjack cheese
- Grill or cook the the dogs as desired.
- Toast your buns if you like (I always do).
- Place dogs on buns and top with plenty of salsa.
- Top with plenty of cheese. If you want your cheese melted place under the broiler for a minute.
- Add tortilla strips and serve.