A few years ago the Big 10 basketball tournament was held here in Indianapolis. As part of the event, the Levy restaurant group in Chicago produced unique hot dogs that highlight each of the Big 10 teams. I came across a copy of the list of the dogs recently, and just had to make each of them. The Iowa Hawkeye hot dog is topped with corn salsa, kicked-up pepperjack cheese, and tortilla strips. I couldn’t find corn salsa with enough corn in it to call it ‘corn salsa’. So, I roasted an ear of corn on the grill while I was cooking the hot dogs. I cut off the kernels and added them to the salsa. Perfect!
We both love salsa on hot dogs. It’s like adding grownup ketchup, but no one will judge you. The pop of the corn kernels in the salsa is a really nice unexpected texture, along with the crunchy tortilla strips.
For a full list of all of the Big 10 team hot dogs, click here and enjoy!
- All-beef hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Corn salsa (If you can't find it just add a few corn kernels to regular salsa)
- Blue and white corn tortilla strips
- Shredded pepperjack cheese
- Grill or cook the the dogs as desired.
- Toast your buns if you like (I always do).
- Place dogs on buns and top with plenty of salsa.
- Top with plenty of cheese. If you want your cheese melted place under the broiler for a minute.
- Add tortilla strips and serve.