Grilled Twinkies are a great thing. Cedar planked Twinkies are a wonderful thing. Just a light hint of cedar takes a simple dessert to a new place. You can top them with whatever you have on hand. For me that meant Nutella (a good thing no matter what, but also good to keep your other toppings from falling off of the Twinkies), ooey-gooey marshmallows, crunchy toffee and of course, whipped cream.
Ice cream, toasted nuts, cherries, anything you can find while be good on cedar planked Twinkies. Just don’t leave the Twinkies on the grill too long or the cedar flavor might get too strong. You want that hint of cedar to kind of be lurking in the background and not jumping right out at you. You can also skip the cedar plank and grill the Twinkies directly on your grill.
Cooking on cedar planks can really change the ordinary into something special, which is why I do it often. Check out my other cedar plank recipes: creamy mashed potatoes, Cajun mashed potatoes, beef sliders, chorizo portabellos, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, shrimp and grits and spicy grilled shrimp.
Cedar Planked Twinkies
- 4 Twinkies
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup Toffee pieces
- Whipped cream
- Any other favorite toppings roasted peanuts, toasted walnuts, fresh fruit or berries, etc
- Soak plank in water for 1 hour.
- Fire up a grill for indirect 300 F grilling.
- Place Twinkies on the plank.
- Slather tops with the Nutella.
- Sprinkle with the marshmallows and toffee.
- Place on the grill and grill for 15 minutes or until the marshmallows have started to melt.
- 'Serve topped with whipped cream and whatever other toppings you enjoy.