Well, I did it. I finally made vegetarian burgers using black beans. And you know, they weren’t just OK, they were great! The patties held up, stayed moist, and had a nice little kick to them. A little sweetness from pineapple rings and teriyaki, plus the crunchiness of red onion finished off the deal just perfectly.
I’m going to fit black bean teriyaki burgers into my regular menu more and more. And I can see myself trying other variations. I’ll skip the teriyaki and pineapple and add smoky BBQ sauce for a great southwestern black bean burger. Or maybe substitute coleslaw and vegetarian chili! Now we’re talking!
Also try my lean apple maple turkey burger.
Black Bean Teriyaki Burgers
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained, rinsed, divided
- 1/2 medium red onion diced, plus a few slices for topping
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt OR salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs you may need less
- Olive oil
- 4 sesame seed burger buns
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- Sliced pineapple
- A few slices red onion
- Combine 1 can of the drained beans, garlic, parsley, cilantro and diced red onion in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a food processer and pulse until the mixture is pureed. It does not need to be smooth, a few chunks are fine.
- Return the mixture to the bowl and add the remaining beans, the egg, red pepper flakes and seasoned salt.
- Combine the mixture using your hands. You want it to be firm enough to form patties, so add breadcrumbs, a little at a time, mixing well until you get the right consistency.
- Divide the mixture into 4 parts and form into patties.
- Fire up your grill or a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lightly brush both sides of the patties with the oil. Place on the grill and cook 4-5 minutes or until a nice char is formed.
- Flip and cook the other side 4-5 minutes or until a nice char is formed.
- Remove from the grill.
- Serve on buns, topped with teriyaki sauce, pineapple and red onion slices.