I made seasoned steak fries on my Weber Performer grill using the Vortex BBQ insert the other day. They came out really, really good. Which got me thinking… could I apply much the same technique to thinner cuts of potatoes, giving me crispy skinny fries? Yep, you bet I could and did! These seasoned skinny fries were fantastic.
I ‘fry’ chicken using my Vortex on a pretty regular basis. At least on my Performer that leaves me some spare room for other things and by other things I now mean fries. What’s better than ‘fried’ chicken and crispy seasoned fries for lunch? Nothing. Well, Vortex chicken fingers are might good too, actually.
Seasoned Skinny Fries using the Vortex
- 2 Russet potatoes cut into thin sticks
- Vegetable oil
For the seasoning (makes more than you'll need for one recipe)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fire up your charcoal grill using the Vortex insert. You'll want to use a larger grill, 22" or bigger.
- Meanwhile, place the fries into a large bowl of cold water.
- Let soak for 5 minutes then drain.
- Add water again and soak until you're about ready to start cooking.
- Make the seasoning by combining all ingredients.
- Drain the fries and pat dry. I like to dump them out onto a large towel and give them a good patting, tossing a few times to make sure I get them all dry.
- Transfer fries back to the bowl (wiping it dry first) and add just a splash of oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning, to taste. I usually use about half of the recipe, but I like mine spicy. You might want to start with 1/4th of the recipe (2 teaspoons or thereabouts). Toss to coat.
- Transfer the fries to your grill. Keep them along the edges of the grate and at an angle to the grate so they don't fall in.
- Cover (keeping the top vent open) and cook for 45 minutes-1 hour, rotating the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes carefully flip the fries, checking for doneness.
- Remove the fries once they are getting golden brown.
- Let cool slightly. The fries will crisp more as they cool.
- Sprinkle with a little salt before serving.