Just because I don’t eat fast food doesn’t mean I can’t make it at home. The last time I had an original McDonald’s hamburger, I believe Star Wars was just out in the movie theaters. Yep it’s been a while. But you know, this copycat McDonald’s Hamburger really brought back memories. It takes just like I remember the original burger to be. Now mine might be a tad larger, but then, so am I. The key to this burger is the seasoning. Make a batch and keep it on hand for any burger, not just this McDonald’s burger.
To make the burger feel even more like the original McDonald’s burger I served it with a copycat of McDonald’s French fries. The fries definitely make you think you just pulled out of the drive-thru at your local McDonald’s, opened the bag, and grabbed and ate a handful of hot fries. Admit it, when they’re hot and crunchy, they’re good. Really good. And a great pairing with this hamburger. Top them all with a copycat of Heinz’s ketchup and you’re set for some good eats!
Copycat McDonald's Hamburger
For the burgers
- 1 pound ground chuck use 80/20 for the best results
- 1/4 cup dried minced onions
- 10 small hamburger buns
- 10 hamburger dill pickle slices
- Ketchup and prepared mustard
- Wax paper
For the seasoning (makes more than you'll need)
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons Accent
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Divide the beef into 10 equally-sized balls. Form into thin patties 4" in diameter and 1/4" thick. Place onto wax paper and freeze for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the dried minced onions into a small resealable container. Add enough water to cover by 1". Seal and refrigerate until time to make the hamburgers.
- When ready to make the burgers, fire up a grill or heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, season the patties liberally on both sides and cook until done.
- Toast buns.
- Assemble burgers by placing cooked patties on bun bottoms. Add a squirt each of ketchup and mustard, along with a slice of dill pickle and a teaspoon of the re-hydrated onions.
- Add the top bun and serve.
For the seasoning
- Combine all ingredients.