This is not my first time grilling radishes, but it’s definitely the first time I’ve grilled black radishes. ‘Normal’ little ole red radishes are absolutely delicious when grilled, and they’re something very different. When I came across black radishes I had to grab them even though I had no idea what to expect. My first bite of a raw black radish was spicy. Very spicy. Much hotter than the hottest red radish I’d ever had. But grilled, the black radishes took on a wonderful sweetness.
I would make grilled black radishes again and again. I found them in a specialty market, but hopefully they’ll become more mainstream in time because they are really awesome, and not just grilled. I could imagine some really great sandwiches or salads with raw black radishes… yum!
- 1 pound large black radishes, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ice cube
- Fire up your grill for direct grilling.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Add radishes to the center of the foil. Sprinkle with the garlic, butter, and salt and pepper.
- Top the radishes with the ice cube.
- Fold the edges of the foil over and pinch to seal.
- Place on the grill for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve immediately with more salt and pepper.