Summer is such a great time for a stir-fry. Fresh in-season vegetables scream ‘stir-fry me’ out at you as you walk through the farmer’s market or grocery store. In fact, a few heads of broccoli where screaming at me the other day, so I took them home and made a quick stir fry with Hoison sauce. Hoison sauce adds a nice sweet and salty flavor to any veggies. Don’t be afraid to also add a few pinches of dried red pepper flake or fresh sliced chile peppers.
I love stir-frying. I actually love it even more when done outside. I fire up my charcoal grill which has a fantastic, large wok insert. The wok gets incredibly hot over the coals, much hotter than I could ever get it on my flattop electric stove. It’s perfect for stir-frying anything, and quickly. If you have a 22″ Weber charcoal grill I can’t recommend the wok enough.
Also check out one of my other favorite grilled side dishes, Asian grilled vegetables.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Hoisin sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat up a wok over high heat.
- Stir-fry the broccoli with the garlic and oil for 3 minutes.
- Combine the ginger, water, Hoisin and salt and stir in the broccoli.
- Stir-fry until the sauce thickens.