Back in my college years I spent (too much) time at a local pool hall. It was quite the dive and that’s putting it pretty nicely. But I loved it. It was smoky, greasy, and definitely not fru-fru. Beer, pool and a simple menu that fit the atmosphere perfectly. Now, the menu might not have included pool room bologna burgers, but it should have. These are the perfect no-frills sandwiches. Don’t be shy with the Pool Room sauce, either. It’s got a nice kick and it’s messy. Remember my motto: messy is tasty.
Make sure you have plenty of Pool Room sauce on hand. Slather up the bologna slices and buns real good. The biggest mistake would be to not achieve proper sauce dripping. It has to run down your chin, all over your hands, and down your arms. That’s why you don’t serve pool room bologna burgers with napkins – you’d need 40 of them. Grab a roll of paper towels instead.
Also try my fried BBQ bologna sandwiches. Bologna on a burger or sandwich is a beautiful thing!
Pool Room Bologna Burgers
- 2 thick slices bologna
- Ross' Pool Room Hot Bologna sauce
- 2 hamburger buns
- 2 slices American cheese
- White onion sliced thin
- Ripe tomato sliced thin
- Iceberg lettuce
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the bologna slices and sear on both sides.
- Slather with the sauce and brown on both sides.
- Toast buns if desired.
- Slather buns with more sauce.
- Add the bologna, cheese, onions, tomato and lettuce.
- Serve with paper towels (or napkins, in a pinch)