Anita said that I must make these green beans again, and soon. She proclaimed them as ‘awesome’, and I definitely agree. This is not a complicated recipe, but it gives green beans fantastic flavor. They need help, let’s face it. No one has ever sat down with a bucket of cooked beans with nothing else on them and said “dang, these are awesome!”. Sit down with a bucket of these beans you will say “dang, these are awesome!”.
Do not skimp on the chicken broth. I (almost) always use my homemade broth, but you can use a good quality store-bought broth or stock instead. For something totally different, substitute smoked turkey broth.
Awesome Green Beans
- 1 pound fresh green beans stems removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper chopped (I use Merzetta's roasted pepper deli strips)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for one minute.
- Add the green beans and cook until bright green, about 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover but leave the cover slightly ajar and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates and the beans are crisp-tender, 20-30 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
- Check the seasoning and serve.