I loved the flavor of this cauliflower ‘popcorn’. The cumin and chili powder add a nice southwestern, earthly flavor. The nutritional yeast (which I’d never used before) made me think of cheddar cheese flavoring. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Now, let’s talk ‘popcorn’. That makes you think crunchy, and if you eat this cauliflower raw that’s just what you’ll get. You can also pop (sorry) them into a dehydrator for 12 or so hours. Right out of the dehydrator they have a nice crunch to them, but I found that that crunch doesn’t last. The seems get a bit soft…. and not popcorny. But the flavor was still great!
I’m looking forward to other ways to use nutritional yeast. For us, I’d recommend this cauliflower popcorn, but honestly I’d enjoy them more raw and save the dehydrator time. That’s up to you. I’m a big texture guy, and for me, the texture of the raw cauliflower was better.
- 1 head cauliflower florets removed (try to remove as much stem as possible if dehydrating)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- kosher salt to taste
- Place the cauliflower into a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, yeast, cumin, chili powder and salt and toss to coat.
- Serve raw, or if desired, place into a dehydrator and dry for 12 hours. Serve immediately.