I’ve made homemade breakfast sausage from scratch before. I picked up a few pork shoulders, trimmed them, ground them (twice) and added seasonings. But I don’t always have the time (or energy, really) to do all that work. That’s when my quick fix homemade breakfast sausage comes in handy.
I use a great seasoning mix from A.C. Legg’s that I picked up on Amazon. It has just the right blend of spices without having too much sage or black pepper.
I cook the quick fix homemade breakfast sausage as soon as I make it. I crumble it and freeze it in batches so I can make breakfast cups for Anita’s breakfasts during the week. You can also form it into patties. I also love smoking breakfast sausage for a fantastically different flavor.
Quick Fix Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- Note: You can scale this recipe up to use as much pork as you need.
- 1 pound quality ground pork
- 1 tablespoon or slightly more breakfast sausage mix (I use A.C Legg's seasoning)
- Place the pork into your mixer bowl and place into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix.
- Place onto mixer using the bread hook and mix for 5-10 minutes.
- If this is your first time making the sausage I recommend that you take a small handful of the mixed sausage and cook it in a skillet. Taste it after it cools (while cooling place the uncooked meat mixture into the freezer in case you need to mix more). If you need to, add more seasoning and mix well.
- Freeze or cook the sausage. You can also form it into patties if you wish.