I watch the show Eat Street on the Cooking Channel because I love food trucks. Whenever there’s one near me I stop and get something, anything. One of the episodes of Eat Street had the host, James Cunningham, stop at the Biscuits + Groovy trailer in Austin, TX. Because Anita and I love biscuits and gravy I knew instantly that I was going to make some of the dishes they serve up. I mean, dang, look at the menu! Everything sounds fantastic, including The Donna Summer.
Biscuits, white pepper gravy, breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs topped with cheese and garnished with green onions. This ain’t no light breakfast, it’s the breakfast of champions!
I’m definitely not a food industry expert, but I do recognize a good concept when I see it. All of the biscuit dishes from Biscuits + Groovy start with great buttermilk biscuits. You can then build from there, like with the Donna Summer, which is definitely loaded with all things good and breakfasty.
If I was anywhere near Austin, Texas right now I’d be in line at the Biscuits + Groovy trailer and my stomach would be growling! I would also order The Johnny Hash while I was there!
Also try my country breakfast tots.
Biscuits + Groovy The Donna Summer
- 3 Pillsbury Flaky biscuits or use my homemade black pepper biscuits
- White pepper gravy see below
- 3 large eggs see below
- Shredded Colby jack cheese
- Fresh chives or green onions
For the white pepper gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk plus more depending on how thick or thin you like your gravy
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the scrambled eggs
- 2 tablespoons Bisquik
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the white gravy
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Whisk in the milk until smooth. Gravy will continue to thicken. If too thick add a bit more milks.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the scrambled eggs
- Thoroughly beat eggs with mix until there are no clumps or lumps.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggs and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Once eggs start to cook start pushing toward middle with a spatula. Continue until eggs are completely cooked
For the biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add biscuits and cook per package instructions.
Making the biscuits
- Split biscuits and place on a plate.
- Add eggs, gravy and cheese.
- Top with chives or green onions. Serve.