It seems that I have a bit of an addiction to flavored saltines. It all started when I made Fire-Eater saltines, which disappeared in no time. I should probably hide them, but then, I’d still know where they are so that isn’t going to help. Guess I’ll try moderation instead. These lime pepper saltines aren’t going to help either. They have just a hint of lime with a great pepper flavor. I was very pleasantly surprised as to just how much I liked them.
I found lime pepper seasoning at our local GFS store, but you can also find a mix like it at your local grocery store. You can also substitute lemon pepper, which seems to be a bit more common.
- 1 sleeve Saltine crackers (low-salt work just fine)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon Lime Pepper seasoning
- Place crackers in a large resealable bag or container.
- Pour in the oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Seal and gently toss to coat.
- Let sit (on the counter) for 12 hours to get 'happy', tossing gently every once-in-a-while.
- Serve as-is or with cream cheese for topping.