This. Right. Here. Absolutely divine ‘fried’ chicken, hot off my charcoal grill. Yes, grill. Before I got a Vortex, I had no idea that not only could I make fried chicken on a grill, I could make it with almost no effort at all. No deep fryer, no mess.This spicy buttermilk fried chicken is beyond tender and juicy. It has a wonderful spicy kick to it, but it’s not overwhelming. And the skin? Oh, crunchy and delicious. Perfection without the oil.
There’s absolutely nothing I would change about this recipe for spicy buttermilk fried chicken. I enjoyed every single bite immensely. I think it’s the perfect fried chicken, and considering that I made it on my grill without deep frying it, I just could not possibly be happier with it.
To make sure the skin crisps up good and that the chicken pieces cook evenly, do not over-crowd them on your grill. Also, I do not flip my chicken as it cooks. I put it on, close the lid, and don’t mess with the chicken for 45 minutes. Just let it do it’s thing.
Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken using the Vortex
For the buttermilk marinade
- 2 quarts buttermilk
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 10-12 chicken pieces
For the seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
For the chicken coating
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 of the seasoning mix from above
For the egg wash
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
- Combine the buttermilk marinade ingredients (except for the chicken) in a large resealable container.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Combine all of the seasoning mix ingredients. Divide into two equally-sized batches.
- Fire up your charcoal grill with the Vortex in the center. Make sure the lid and bottom air vents are open.
- Whisk together the coating ingredients and place into a large resealable bag.
- Whisk together the egg wash ingredients and place into a pie pan or large bowl.
- Working in batches, remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess.
- Sprinkle with one half of the seasoning mix.
- Transfer to the egg wash and coat well.
- Shake off the excess and add to the baggie. Seal and shake to coat.
- Arrange chicken around the edges of your grill (once the coals are hot and ashed over). Cover and cook for 45 minutes, rotating the lid every 15 minutes.
- The last 5 minutes of cooking lightly brush the tops of the chicken with the oil to help crisp the skin even more.
- Once chicken is done (165 F as measured in several places), remove and let cool slightly before serving.