I’ve roasted good ole purple beets a few times, either in the oven or on a grill or even on a smoker and they came out great. When I came across golden beets, which I’d never had before, I had to grab a few to see how they would hold up on the grill. The grilled golden beets weren’t quite as sweet as their purple cousins, but they are a lot less earthy, which I really enjoyed a lot.
I make a fantastic roasted beet salad that has Feta and reduced balsamic vinegar, among other things. It’s a big favorite of ours. Next time I find some more golden beets I’ll make that same salad using the golden beets instead.
Also try my grilled radishes.
Grilled Golden Beets
- 2 pounds fresh beets stems trimmed, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Place the beets into a bowl and toss gently with the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer the beets to the grill and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes depending on thickness.
- Cooked beets can be served warm off the grill or cooled for serving later.