These grilled open-faced beef, cheese and gravy sandwiches just blew us away. Cooked over charcoal, the sandwiches take on a lovely light smoky flavor. The beef is tender, juicy and packed with flavor. Covered in a tasty beef gravy, every bite is just fantastic. Served over thick, hearty grilled bread, it’s the sandwich you’ve been looking for.
There’s nothing I would really change about this recipe. It’s a great alternative to cooking your usual burgers on the grill. You could make this with ground turkey, I would think, though you might have to add a little fat (vegetable oil) to keep the turkey from getting too tough when seared.
This is yet another brilliant recipe from the BBQ Pit Boys.
Also try my open-faced turkey sandwiches.
Grilled Open-Faced Beef, Cheese and Gravy Sandwiches
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can roasted diced chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons your favorite BBQ rub
- 8 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 slices large thick-cut bread I used a rustic ciabatta
For the beef gravy
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking. Charcoal is definitely best for this recipe.
- Form the beef into equal-sized patties.
- Sear over direct heat on both sides, but do not cook all the way. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, chiles, Italian seasoning and rub. Use a potato masher or fork to combine all ingredients and break the ground beef into chunks.
- Place a large cast iron pan on your grill over indirect heat.
- Add the meat mixture and spread out evenly. Use a spatula or the back of a large spoon to lightly compact the meat into the pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the beef is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Top mixture with the cheese slices, cover and cook another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pan from the grill. Lightly toast the bread slices on the grill.
- Serve meat over the bread topped with the beef gravy.
For the beef gravy
- Add a small skillet to the grill over direct heat. Add the butter and melt.
- Add the beef broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of broth. Bring to a boil.
- Combine the flour and water in a cup and whisk into the beef broth.
- Continue stirring until the gravy is thickened. Remove from heat.